Our Weekend Guides are a useful resource whether you’re planning an extravagant weekend train crawl or if you’re simply looking for a place to pop in for a quick drink before your train comes. Each of our Weekend Guides includes schedule information, transit connections, and just about every bar within reasonable walking distance of a weekend train stop. Our Weekend Guides are formatted to be printable on legal (8.5″x14″) paper, if you’d like a hard copy for your travels.
These are not official Metra schedules. These are not produced by Metra. As a courtesy, included below are links to Metra’s official schedules on metrarail.com; be sure to check Metra’s website or the Ventra smartphone app before your trip to check for any planned work or service disruptions. Schedules, fares, transit connections, and the venues listed are all subject to change.
Jump to a train line:
- Union Pacific North
- Union Pacific Northwest
- Union Pacific West
- Milwaukee North
- Milwaukee West
- BNSF Railway
- SouthWest Service
- Rock Island
- Metra Electric – Suburban Main Line
- Metra Electric – City Main Line/Blue Island Branch
- Metra Electric – South Chicago Branch
Union Pacific North (UP-N)
Ogilvie Transportation Center to Kenosha
- On weekends, trains run every 90-120 minutes between Waukegan and Ogilvie, with select trains serving Zion, Winthrop Harbor, and Kenosha.
- Trains will stop at Ravinia Park on event days.
Union Pacific Northwest (UP-NW)
Ogilvie Transportation Center to Harvard
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Crystal Lake and Ogilvie, with select trains serving Woodstock and Harvard. On Saturdays, inbound trains run hourly in the morning and outbound trains run hourly in the afternoon.
- Trains do not serve McHenry and Gladstone Park on weekends.
Union Pacific West (UP-W)
Ogilvie Transportation Center to Elburn
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Elburn and Ogilvie.
- One additional morning inbound and one additional afternoon outbound train are scheduled on Saturdays.
- Trains do not stop at Kedzie.
- Generally weekend trains will stop at either Melrose Park or Maywood, but not both.
Milwaukee District North (MD-N)
Chicago Union Station to Fox Lake
- On weekends, trains run every 90-150 minutes between Fox Lake and Union Station.
- One additional afternoon round-trip between Union Station and Lake Forest runs on Saturdays.
- Most trains make all stops.
North Central Service
Chicago Union Station to Antioch
- No weekend service.
Milwaukee District West (MD-W)
Chicago Union Station to Elgin/Big Timber
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Elgin and Union Station.
- On Saturdays, inbound trains run hourly in the morning and outbound trains run hourly in the afternoon.
- Trains do not stop at Grand/Cicero, Hanson Park, Mars, Mannheim, and Big Timber Road.
Heritage Corridor (HC)
Chicago Union Station to Joliet Union Station
- No weekend service.
Chicago Union Station to Aurora
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Aurora and Union Station.
- On Saturdays, inbound trains operate hourly in the morning and outbound trains operate hourly in the afternoon.
- Trains do not stop at Halsted Street, LaVergne, Congress Park, Highlands, and West Hinsdale.
- One express round-trip operates, skipping all stops between Downers Grove Main Street and Union Station: inbound in the morning, outbound in the evening.
SouthWest Service (SWS)
Chicago Union Station to Manhattan
- On Saturdays, three round trips operate between Manhattan and Union Station.
- No Sunday service.
Rock Island District (RI)
LaSalle Street Station to Joliet Union Station
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Joliet and LaSalle Street, expressing between Gresham and Blue Island. Local trains also run every two hours between Blue Island and LaSalle Street, serving the Suburban Line through Beverly and Morgan Park. Trains meet at Blue Island with a ten-minute layover in the direction of travel.
- On Saturdays, two additional round-trip making all stops in the early morning and late night.
- Trains do not stop at 95th Street-Longwood and 103rd Street-Washington Heights.
Metra Electric (ME)
Millennium Station to University Park
The Metra Electric line operates on three different branches: the Main Line operates between Millennium Station and University Park; the Blue Island Branch operates between Millennium Station and Blue Island (Saturdays only); and the South Chicago Branch operates between Millennium Station and South Chicago/93rd.
- On Saturdays, the schedule allows for 20-30 minute headways between downtown and Hyde Park on the three branches until 7:30pm, with 30-60 headways afterward.
- On Saturdays, trains operate hourly on the Main Line and on the South Chicago Branch. Limited service is available on the Blue Island Branch.
- On Sundays, trains run every two hours between University Park and 63rd Street, and every two hours between South Chicago and 63rd Street. Trains run every 30-90 minutes between 63rd Street and Millennium Station.
- Trains do not serve the Blue Island branch on Sundays.
South Shore Line
Millennium Station to South Bend Airport
- Nine round-trips a day run between Millennium Station and Michigan City, with selected trips serving Hudson Lake and South Bend Airport.
- Trains north of 63rd Street do not board inbound passengers or discharge outbound passengers.
- Rides on the South Shore Line are not included in Metra’s Weekend Pass.