Our Weekend Guides are a useful resource whether you’re planning an extravagant weekend train crawl or if you’re simply looking for a place to pop in for a quick drink before your train comes. Each of our Weekend Guides includes schedule information, transit connections, and just about every bar within reasonable walking distance of a weekend train stop. Our Weekend Guides are formatted to be printable on legal (8.5″x14″) paper, if you’d like a hard copy for your travels.
These are not official Metra schedules. These are not produced by Metra. As a courtesy, included below are links to Metra’s official schedules on metrarail.com; be sure to check Metra’s website or the Ventra smartphone app before your trip to check for any planned work or service disruptions. Schedules, fares, transit connections, and the venues listed are all subject to change.
For more information about our line iconography, secondary line names, and schedule notation, check out our Metra system map.
Union Pacific North (UP-N)
The Ashland Line – Chicago (Ogilvie) to Waukegan and Kenosha
- On weekends, trains run every 90-120 minutes between Waukegan and Ogilvie, with select trains serving Zion, Winthrop Harbor, and Kenosha.
- Trains will stop at Ravinia Park on event days.
Union Pacific Northwest (UP-NW)
The North Western Line – Chicago (Ogilvie) to Crystal Lake and Harvard
- On most weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Crystal Lake and Ogilvie, with select trains serving Woodstock and Harvard. On Saturdays, inbound trains run hourly in the morning and outbound trains run hourly in the afternoon.
- Summer schedule: Additional hourly service, including express service.
- Trains do not serve McHenry and Gladstone Park on weekends.
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Elburn and Ogilvie.
- One additional morning inbound and one additional afternoon outbound train are scheduled on Saturdays.
- Trains do not stop at Kedzie.
- Generally, weekend trains will stop at either Melrose Park or Maywood, but not both.
- On weekends, trains run every 90-150 minutes between Fox Lake and Union Station.
- One additional afternoon round-trip between Union Station and Lake Forest runs on Saturdays.
- Most trains make all stops.
North Central Service (NCS)
The Laker Line – Chicago (Union) to Antioch
- No weekend service… yet.
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Elgin and Union Station.
- On Saturdays, inbound trains run hourly in the morning and outbound trains run hourly in the afternoon.
- Trains do not stop at Grand/Cicero, Hanson Park, Mars, Mannheim, and Big Timber Road.
The Western Star Line – Chicago (Union) to Aurora
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Aurora and Union Station.
- On Saturdays, inbound trains operate hourly in the morning and outbound trains operate hourly in the afternoon.
- Summer schedule: one additional round-trip on Saturdays and Sundays, including a Saturday afternoon inbound express train.
- Trains do not stop at Halsted Street, LaVergne, Congress Park, Highlands, and West Hinsdale.
- One express round-trip operates, skipping all stops between Downers Grove Main Street and Union Station: inbound in the morning, outbound in the evening.
Heritage Corridor (HC)
The Abraham Line – Chicago (Union) to Joliet
- No weekend service.
- On Saturdays, three round trips operate between Manhattan and Union Station.
- No Sunday service.
Rock Island (RI) – Main Line
The Rocket Line – Chicago (LaSalle Street) to Joliet
Rock Island (RI) – Suburban Branch
The Suburban Line – Chicago (LaSalle Street) to Blue Island
- On weekends, trains run every 2 hours between Joliet and LaSalle Street, expressing between Gresham and Blue Island. Local trains also run every two hours between Blue Island and LaSalle Street, serving the Suburban Line through Beverly and Morgan Park. Trains meet at Blue Island with a ten-minute layover in the direction of travel.
- On Saturdays, two additional round-trip making all stops in the early morning and late night.
- Summer schedule: additional Saturday hourly service on the Rock Island Main Line.
- Trains do not stop at 95th Street-Longwood and 103rd Street-Washington Heights on weekends.
The Metra Electric line operates on three different branches: the Main Line operates between Millennium Station and University Park; the Blue Island Branch operates between Millennium Station and Blue Island (Saturdays only); and the South Chicago Branch operates between Millennium Station and South Chicago/93rd.
- On Saturdays, the schedule allows for 20-30 minute headways between downtown and Hyde Park on the three branches until 7:30pm, with 30-60 headways afterward.
- On Saturdays, trains operate hourly on the Main Line and on the South Chicago Branch. Limited service is available on the Blue Island Branch.
- On Sundays, trains run every two hours between University Park and 63rd Street, and every two hours between South Chicago and 63rd Street. Trains run every 30-90 minutes between 63rd Street and Millennium Station.
- Trains do not serve the Blue Island branch on Sundays.